Marker to be unveiled at historic site in Dayton
A marker is going up at a historic site in Dayton to honor the location’s place in Nevada’s history.
The Snowshoe Thompson and Slim Princess Chapters of E Clampus Vitus will unveil a historic marker at Dayton’s 1881 Carson & Colorado Railroad Depot at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 30.
The marker is being placed to recognize the importance of both the historic railroad and Dayton’s depot, one of only three that survive today and the only one in Nevada.
Restoration of the depot is beginning and is going to return it to its appearance in the 1880s when it revitalized Dayton by transporting ore to its mills and giving Dayton access through the V&T to California, the West, and the nation.
When completed the Dayton depot will be the only depot on the line returned to the Carson & Colorado era.
In June, a companion plaque marking the southern terminus of the Carson & Colorado was placed by the Clampers at the depot in Keeler, on the east side of Owens Lake.
The Depot is located on Main Street at the corner of Highway 50 E. at the stoplight near the entrance to Old Town Dayton. Following a brief unveiling ceremony light refreshments will be served. All are welcome and the event is free.
For more information about the event or the depot or C&C history, call Brandon Wilding at 775-351-6555 (Clampers) or Linda Clements at 775-246-0505 (Railroad Depot Committee).