Mom pleads to leaving son alone
A Carson City mother who allegedly left her 14-year-old son home alone for days with nothing to eat but a birthday cake pleaded guilty Tuesday.
Kelly Pray, 34, pleaded guilty before Judge Todd Russell to gross misdemeanor child neglect and endangerment. She faces up to a year in jail when sentenced Dec. 14.
According to the arrest report, deputies went to Pray’s Sunrise Drive home on Sept. 30 after school officials reported her learning-disabled son had not been at school the previous week.
When officers contacted the juvenile, they found him alone. Initially, the tearful boy said his mother had just left the house, but later said his mom had been gone overnight, the report states.
Officers found no food in the home and the boy said he’d been eating a birthday cake for three days.
Also before Judge Russell on Tuesday:
• Brett Steven Jones, 31, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance and child neglect. He faces up to four years in prison when sentenced Dec. 28.
• Craig Mace McDonald, 58, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled substance. He face up to six years in prison when sentenced Dec. 28.
• Nicholas Randy Watts, 19, pleaded guilty to attempted burglary. He faces up to five years in prison when sentenced on Jan. 4.
• Josh Thomas Uhlmeyer, 29, pleaded guilty to felony malicious destruction of property. Uhlmeyer broke into the Winnie Lane McDonald’s on Oct. 6 and when officers contacted him he thought he was in a video game. He faces up to five years in prison when sentenced Dec. 28.
• Bud James Corbett, 64, was sentenced to up to a year probation, with six months in jail suspended, on a charge of misdemeanor conspiracy to act without lawful authority.
• Christopher Alan Mikesell, 28, pleaded guilty to felony possession of a stolen motor vehicle. He faces up to five years in prison when sentenced Dec. 14.
• Mikesell’s co-defendant Darcie Ann Green, pleaded guilty to gross misdemeanor conspiracy to possession a stolen motor vehicle. She was sentenced to time served.