Motor home fire threatens building in Silver Springs
SILVER SPRINGS – A motor home was destroyed Thursday here after it burst into flames and caused the evacuation of four people from a nearby market.
Central Lyon County Fire Battalion Chief Mark Kielty said an electrical problem in the engine is likely to blame for the 11:30 a.m. fire, which quickly engulfed the motor home and scorched the outside of Fifi’s Mini Mart in the 1600 block of Highway 95 Alternate.
“It started in the engine compartment and extended rapidly into the entire vehicle,” he said. “When we got there it was fully involved.”
Kielty said the flames caused a propane tank on the motor home to explode, but no one was injured. Traffic on Highway 95A was stopped and rerouted for nearly two hours.
Two people who complained of smoke inhalation declined to be taken to the hospital.
Firefighters with the Silver Springs Volunteer Fire Department Mason Valley, North Lyon County Fire and Central Lyon County Fire responded to the incident.