New sheriff’s office opens today
November 12, 2007
Starting today the Carson City Sheriff’s Department’s new building will be open for business.
“We actually expect no interruption in service,” said Sheriff Kenny Furlong on Monday as jail trusties and reserve deputies moved some of the final items into the department’s newly finished 40,000-square-foot building.
The building is immediately east of the old one, 908 E. Musser St., and has the fitting address of 911 E. Musser St.
For more than a year, patrol deputies and the records division has been working out of space borrowed from the city on Butti Way.
The detective division was moved into a former storage room that was once a firing range in the basement of the old digs and one of the department’s two chief deputies has been working out of a jail office.
That will all change today, Furlong said.
Recommended Stories For You
He said the biggest challenge will be the change in phone numbers.
Every extension will go from being four numbers to five numbers, and the department’s main number has also changed, he said.
Residents should now dial 887-2500 and a five-digit extension to reach various department offices.
The patrol division will remain out at Butti for at least another week until a mound of dirt is removed from the rear of the building.
And in six weeks, the old building will have been cleansed of asbestos and demolition will begin to make way for a parking lot.
“I’ve got my fingers crossed that at 8 a.m. when the phones get switched over, everything is going to work,” Furlong said. “I’m confident they will.”
• Contact reporter F.T. Norton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 881-1213.
The two-story, 40,000-square-foot building includes:
• a community room;
• a bay for examination of vehicles in investigations;
• private-reporting rooms for victims of crime; and
• locker rooms and a gym
• sheriff’s administration
• detectives division
• patrol division
• records division
• the coroner
• crime scene investigation
• evidence locker
New phone number and extensions for the Carson City Sheriff’s Department 911 E. Musser St.:
Administration – 41900
Business Office – 41100
Civil Division – 41700
Detective Division – 41400
Patrol Commander – 41200
Records Division – 41725
Jail Sergeants -41690
Patrol Sergeants – 41225
Coroner – 41925
The Meth Hotline number at 887-2020, ext. METH (6384) will remain the same.
Trending In: Local
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- 2019 State of the State Address: Gov. Sisolak seeks 3 percent raise for Nevada state workers
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson Tahoe Medical Center set to expand