Nugget development plan, judge vacancy on supervisors’ agenda
The Carson City Board of Supervisors will be asked Thursday to adopt a resolution calling for a special election to fill the vacancy of Justice of the Peace Robey Willis, who has submitted his letter of resignation, or appoint a replacement.
Willis gave notice that the Department 1 position would be vacant Jan. 4, 2011, giving the city time to add the position to the 2010 election process, thereby avoiding the cost of a separate special election.
The board has the choice of appointing a replacement or having the position filled through a special election.
Supervisors also will hear a presentation from the city’s Office of Business Development of a conceptual development project by Carson Nugget, Inc., which OBD believes could quickly attract significant interest from the development community.
The intent will be to form a public-private partnership between Carson City, Carson Nugget ownership and potential master developers.
Other items for board consideration on Thursday’s agenda include:
• Approving a $56,325 grant to fund a case manager position for the Department of Alternate Sentencing for oversight and coordination of third-time DUI offenders.
• Approving a $329,032 grant for a Western Regional DUI court.
• Hearing a presentation from the city treasurer regarding the investment of surplus money.
• Reviewing the character and professional competence of City Manager Larry Werner for the period of Feb. 7, 2008, through Nov. 5, 2009.
Following the review, the board may take administrative action relating to his employment.
• Appointing one member to the Carson City Library Board to fill a term expiring June 2013.
• Selection of two or more nominees to serve on the Carson-Truckee Water Conservancy District.
• Reviewing an appeal of a Planning Commission decision related to a patio cover structure.
The board meets at 8:30 a.m. Thursday in the Sierra Room of the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St.
The agenda with all supporting material is available online at http://www.carson-city.nv.us/ by clicking on the Board of Supervisors link.