Off the Couch
– Minden Gazebo and Tree Lighting, 6 p.m. in Minden Park. Call 782-8144 for information.
– Larry Taylor photography exhibit at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. Features native flora of Eagle Valley, Carson Range and Carson territory. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Call 883-1976.
– Toys for Tots call-in requests from 9 a.m. to noon, 1-4 p.m. at 882-3474.
– Carson High School Jazz Combo performs Christmas jazz selections from 7:30-8:30 p.m. at Silver Hills Community Church, 1066 Mallory Way. Donation of $3 requested at the door to help fund combo’s trip to Moscow, Idaho jazz festival; dessert served. Call 885-2812.
– Carson High School Ski Team present a Warren Miller movie, “Journey,” 7:30 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center. Call 283-1768.
– Santa and his reindeer at Telegraph Square from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (weather permitting) with free candy canes. Photos available, $10 for one, $15 for two. Proceeds go for feed and care of reindeer. Also gift-basket raffle. Call 885-2444.
– “A Christmas Carol” presented by Carson Performing Arts and the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. 7:30 p.m. Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday. Tickets, information, call 883-1976.
– Carson Valley Parade of Lights 5-9 p.m. Starts at Lampe Park in Gardnerville. Ends in Minden Park.
– Comstock Clubhouse Craft and Jewelry Faire, 8:30 a.m. -2 p.m. at 2601 E. College Parkway. Also, sales and Christmas gift baskets and raffle. Free coffee; call 884-1275 or 882-3062.
– Carson High School Jazz Band performs from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Curry St. Includes cookie and hot spiced cider sales. Proceeds benefit band’s trip to Moscow, Idaho, jazz festival. Call 283-1779.
– St. Teresa of Avila School free annual Christmas Benefit, 11 a.m. at St. Teresa’s Church, 3000 N. Lompa Lane. “The Not So Silent Night” is a musical play. Light appetizers will be available as will a bake sale. Call 882-2079.
– Carson-Tahoe Hospital Auxiliary fund-raiser, “Fairy Tale Christmas,” 11 a.m. at the Carson Nugget. Features luncheon and fashion show, silent auction and raffle. Narrated by Secretary of State Dean Heller with music by harpist Mary Law. Tickets $35 per person. Call 883-8625 or 882-0254.
– Free full-day birding trip throughout the Carson Valley, sponsored by Lahontan Audubon Society. Meet at 8 a.m. in Target parking lot; bring a lunch. Call Jim Eidel at 882-9172 or Bob Goodman at 972-7848.
– Carson City Recreation Middle School Dance, 7-10 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center gymnasium. Admission $5; ID required. Snacks available. Call 887-2290, ext. 101.
– “Christmas on the Comstock” Parade starts at 5 p.m. Rummage and craft sale at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Virginia City, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., corner of F and Taylor streets. Call 246-0878.
– Holiday Gala in the Valhalla Grand Hall, 6:30 p.m. in South Lake Tahoe. Features champagne, gourmet dinner and dancing. Call (530) 542-4166.
– Sparks 17th annual Hometowne Christmas, 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Victorian Square, Sparks. Features Christmas parade from 1-2:30 p.m. on Victorian Avenue. Call 353-2291.
– Portola Railroad Museum Santa Train, 5 p.m. in Portola, Calif. Features holiday decorated trains with lights, heated cabooses, free hot chocolate and cookies, plus Santa. Call (530) 832-4131.
– “A Genoa Christmas” includes a craft faire in Town Hall, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, with Santa present to visit children from noon-2 p.m. each day. Call 782-8696.
– Sharon Randall’s annual studio and gallery open house, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 2876 Jackie Circle, Minden. Features stoneware and porcelain wheel-thrown pottery. Call 267-4175.
– The Nutcracker performed at 7:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday at Harrah’s South Shore Room. Tickets $28 (adults) and $17 (children). Call (800) 427-7247.
– “Christmas in the Capital,” a Victorian Christmas includes Christmas tree decorating contest at the Legislative Plaza, storefront decoration contest, Commemorative 2003 Victorian Christmas poster; sponsored by the Downtown Redevelopment Authority. Call 883-1494 or visit http://www.Christmasincapital@nvbell.net.
– Pearl Harbor Survivors Association Silver State Chapter 1, meets at 9 a.m. at Grandma Hattie’s to observe the 62nd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Call 883-1842.
– Bethany Circle of Lutheran Women in Mission Annual Tea, 2 p.m. in Luther Hall, 1837 N. Mountain St. Open to all women of the community. Call 882-7057.
– “Christmas Card Revue,” presented by Children’s Repertoire Theatre, 7 p.m. at the Carson City Community Center.
– Young at Heart monthly potluck at the Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane, Gardnerville. Doors open at 11 a.m., bring a salad, entree or dessert to share. Call 783-6455.
– The Cottars in concert at 8 p.m. at the Barkley Theatre at Oats Park Art Center, 151 E. Park St., Fallon. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets, information, call (775) 423-1440.