Offices closed on Veterans Day
November 8, 2004
State offices and most Carson City government offices will be closed Thursday for Veterans Day.
There will be no school for Carson City, Lyon, Storey or Douglas school district students. Western Nevada Community College campuses and learning centers will also be closed in observance of the holiday.
The Carson City Marriage Bureau, 885 E. Musser St., will be open from 9-4:30 p.m.
The front counter of the Carson City Sheriff’s Department will be closed, and there will be no visitation at the Carson City Jail.
The Carson City Senior Citizens Center will be open.
Dayton, Douglas County, Silver Springs, Storey County and Fernley senior centers will be closed.
Recommended Stories For You
The marriage bureau and other county offices in Lyon will be closed Thursday.
The Carson City, Douglas County and Lyon County public libraries will be closed.
The U.S. Post Office and its retail stations will be closed. Only express mail will be delivered. Most banks also will be closed for the holiday.
The Nevada Appeal will publish as usual and offices will be open.
Veterans Day events
• Carson Middle School sixth annual Flag Retirement Ceremony, 9-10 a.m. at CMS, 1140 W. King St., in the cafeteria. Open to the public; flags welcome for retirement. Call 283-2800.
• Carson High School Naval Junior ROTC recognition ceremony, 11 a.m., open to the public, 1111 N. Saliman Road. Includes presentation of colors and singing of National Anthem by the high school choir. Refreshments after the ceremony. Call 283-1780.
• Fifth annual USO Veterans Day Celebration, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Douglas County Senior Center, 2300 Meadow Lane, Gardnerville. Features George Whitell High School Band and Choir, Diana Buffalo and Bill Paradise; presentations by VFW Post 8583 and Commissioner Bernie Curtis; pictures and memorabilia from local veterans and displays from World War II and the Korean War. Call 783-6455.
• Nevada State Parks will honor all veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces by allowing free entrance to all state parks. All current and former members of the Armed Forces and their immediate families will be allowed to visit any state park free of charge by presenting a valid military identification (active or retired) when entering the parks on Veterans Day. Call 687-4379.
• Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 388 hosts a Veterans Day Ceremony at Mills Park, 2 p.m., honoring all women veterans. Call 687-4632.
• Civil War Statue rededication ceremony, 2:30 p.m. at Lone Mountain Cemetery, corner of North Roop Street and Beverly Drive. Call 887-2111.
• American Legion High Desert Post 56 and Auxiliary Unit 56 meet at 7 p.m. at Veterans Hall, corner of Second and Curry streets. All veterans and eligible women welcome to attend. Call 841-1369.
• Veterans Day Ceremony, 9 a.m. at Dayton Cemetery, hosted by Dayton Chapter 8660 of Veterans of Foreign Wars.
• Virginia City annual Veterans Day Parade, 11 a.m. on C Street. Spaghetti feed after parade. Call 847-0311.