Ordinance would limit mobile homes’ age
November 23, 2004
Beauty may soon go before age for imported mobile homes in Carson City.
The Carson City Planning Commission approved a proposal to limit the age of mobile or manufactured homes brought into Carson City from outside county lines.
The ordinance would require a manufactured or mobile home to be no more than 15 years old when it is placed on a lot.
Carson City Supervisor Shelly Aldean, a supporter of the proposed ordinance, said the age limit would improve standards and safety of manufactured and mobile homes installed within city limits.
She said city staff is confused about current mobile-home code enforcement standards.
There is now no age limit for manufactured homes brought into Carson City.
Recommended Stories For You
However, mobile home parks may set their own standards.
“The enforcement people are frustrated,” Aldean said. “We don’t know what we’re required to enforce.”
She says the age limit is a reasonable imposition that will improve property values in fixed-income neighborhoods.
“We owe it to people in those neighborhoods to be concerned about their property values.”
The ordinance would not apply to mobile homes already within Carson City limits moved to another city lot.
“This is only for the importation of mobile homes,” said Carson City Community Development Director Walt Sullivan. “People living in Carson City won’t be affected.”
He said the ordinance would apply to about 30 percent of imported mobile homes, because the other 70 percent are already less than 15 years old.
If the ordinance passes, Carson City would join several other Nevada municipalities that have age limits on manufactured homes.
Lyon County imposed a 15-year limit in 2002, and has had no long-standing challenges to the rule, said Lyon County Deputy District Attorney Steve Rye.
The proposed Carson City ordinance will go before the Board of Supervisors Dec. 16.
Contact reporter Robyn Moormeister at firstname.lastname@example.org or 881-1217.
Trending In: Local
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion