May 6, 2012
130 YEARS AGO
Our Prima Donna: Miss Emma Nevada (Miss Wixom of Austin) with her light soprano voice – has created quite a furor in Rome. Although Sara Bernhardt was playing in the city the same time, the Americans who had gone all managed to visit the theater at which Miss Wixom was performing.
120 YEARS AGO
Pretty strong: Oliver Roberts received a consignment of Limburger cheese by Well Fargo from St. Helena, California and when brought to the house the odor was so strong his dogs left the premises and scaled the fence. He had to buy some patent clothes pins to put on his nose while eating it.
70 YEARS AGO
World War II: “The Army and Navy Have It,” written by Evelyn Caroll tells the feminine contributions to the cause:
Recommended Stories For You
Peroxide that once made your tresses gold
Curlers that made them wavy,
Hairpins that had such a good strong hold
Now go to the army and navy.
Lipstick cases are ammunition
Corset stays travel with tanks
Not a single complaint, nor suspicion
Of hoarders will damage our ranks.
50 YEARS AGO
Dr. Richard Grundy launched a five city “Knock Out Polio” campaign. The oral vaccine, three drops of the Sabin drug administered on a cube of sugar has already captured the wholehearted approval of children and adults.
30 YEARS AGO
RSVP: Janice Ayres, Retired Senior Volunteer Program project director, attended the eighth annual meeting at Lone Mountain College in San Francisco. Ayres is an 18-year veteran executive in social services programs.
10 YEARS AGO
Births at Carson-Tahoe hospital: Tonya and Michael Clements, a daughter; Yvonne and Gary Jensen of Carson City, a son.
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments