June 8, 2012
It is reported that Mr. and Mrs. John Mackay arrived in New York from Europe on Monday. Mr. Mackay will at once come to this state and Mrs. Mackay will stay in New York with friends. Upon arrival, says our informant, Mr. Mackay will tell us if he indeed wants to be Governor of this State.
100 years ago
In Blossom. The snowball bushes in this city are in full bloom and in many yards make a very handsome appearance. The absence of frost this season has given the flowering shrubs a change that they have not had in many seasons. It proves that efforts growing them worthwhile.
70 years ago
Bob Elston, who was riding with Laurien Riehl on the latters motorcycle, when the vehicle crashed into a car in Reno a couple of nights ago, suffered a leg injury which required 17 stitches.
Riehl, who broke his leg, will be in the hospital seven or eight weeks.
Recommended Stories For You
50 years ago
Gov. Grant Sawyer and his wife had to hitchhike a ride into Reno for the University of Nevada commencement after their car broke down on U.S. 395 north of Carson. They were picked up by Fred Dressler, a Douglas county rancher and staunch Republican.
20 years ago
Baseball star Matt Williams and former Reno newspaperman Ty Cobb will give the commencement speeches at Dayton and Virginia City High Schools.
10 years ago
The six-lane expansion of 395 begins.
• Trent Dolan is the son of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments