November 13, 2012
130 Years Ago
Alf Chartz’s application for pardon was being heard as the Appeal went to press last night… His release seems quite probable.
120 Years Ago
All sorts: The next session of the Legislature ought to finish the Capitol sidewalk. The Indians coming in from the hills are loaded down with pinenuts…The Piutes have had a bountiful harvest and are preparing for a hard winter.
70 Years Ago
Apprentice at the Carson City Daily Appeal, Lester H. Groth, was sworn into the U.S. Navy at Reno and left for San Diego for “boot” training.
Recommended Stories For You
50 Years Ago
Test moon landing: U.S. Astronauts will break in their descending mooncraft, hover a while and then ease down to a gentle landing. It will not be on a crater of the moon but the desert outside White Sands, N.M. The craft is a bulbous, glass domed contraption resembling a giant bug…
30 Years Ago
Guilty pleas: Two men pleaded guilty to lesser charges in an alleged attempt to bring fugitive brothel operator Joe Conforte back to this country by bribing an IRS official to reduce his multimillion dollar tax debt…
10 Years Ago
The unveiling of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial took placed in Carson City’s Mills Park. The memorial contains names of 151 servicemen that died in Vietnam…
• Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.
Trending In: Local
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion