Past Pages for Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016
150 Years Ago
Social Hop at Warm Springs Hotel: About 30 couples were in attendance and dancing was kept up until the “wee small hours.” Those who were there are loud in their praise of the music and say the supper was elegant and sumptuous.
130 Years Ago
John Emmons: A pistol shot was heard in the southwestern portion of Carson. John Emmons shot himself and was found dying at the foot of a large cottonwood tree near the Raycraft house. A Colt revolver lay alongside him. He was removed to a house across the street where he died twenty minutes later. He and his wife had quarreled and not been living happily together for some time. He had been in poor circumstances financially — drinking and gambling. He leaves a wife and one child. Coroner Friend held an inquest and the jury returned a verdict of suicide.
110 Years Ago
Watch and Fob for Phil McGrath: Assistant superintendent of the Nevada and California railroad, Phil McGrath, has resigned and gone to Tonopah where he has accepted a position in a banking institution. He was presented a magnificent gold watch and chain with a large elk tooth fob attached as a token of their esteem. (Married to Mary Roberts in 1902 — Foreman/Roberts House).
70 Years Ago
Census bureau: An aftermath of war census bureau report shows an increasing number of women are now “heads of families.” In 1940 only 15 percent of American families looked to a woman as the family head and by V-E Day the percentage has climbed to nearly 22 percent.
50 Years Ago
Parade float chairman: Mrs. Evalyn Pollastro, owner of Electric Service, Carson City, was the guest of honor at a fashion show at the Carson City Nugget. She was chosen for her outstanding work in building the winning Nevada Day Parade float for the Carson City Chamber of Commerce.
30 Years Ago
Virginia City fire: The Union Brewery Saloon caught fire in the living quarters. The cause was the use of a kerosene heater. The historic landmark at 28 N. St. has been a brewery, a bar, a boarding house and whorehouse since it was built in 1862. The fire was contained to one second-floor room.
Sue Ballew is the daughter of Bill Dolan, who wrote this column for the Nevada Appeal from 1947 until his death in 2006.