Phone scam reported in Lyon County
December 1, 2017
A phone scam whose culprits are posing as deputies with the Lyon County Sheriff's Office has been reported in Lyon County.
The Lyon County Sheriff's Office said the scammers call and tell their victims they've missed a court date or have an outstanding warrant, and payment is needed to clear the violation.
The victims who didn't answer the phone received a callback number that provided instruction on how to automatically make a payment.
The scammers identified themselves as Sgt. Tommy Smith or Capt. Dan Brown.
Anyone who has received a similar call or suffered a loss as a result of the scam is asked to file a report by calling the LCSO's non-emergency line at 775-463-6620.
Trending In: Local
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Carson City lawyer finalist for judicial vacancy