Police recapture walk-away
November 18, 2004
An inmate who walked away from a prison crew at Western Nevada Community College has been recaptured by Reno police.
Mathew Nevin walked away from a construction crew at the community college. He was serving up to 15 years for robbery at the time and had just been returned to the prison system for a parole violation. He was assigned to the Warm Springs Correctional Facility – a light-medium security prison next to the Nevada State Prison on Fifth Street.
Prison spokesman Fritz Schlottman said Nevin was recaptured in a Reno bar and taken to Washoe County’s regional detention center.
Schlottman said he will be arraigned on escape charges and then taken to Northern Nevada Correctional Center for placement in a “more severe facility.”
“He was also up for a parole hearing this morning,” said Schlottman. “I think we can safely say he won’t be getting paroled.”
Trending In: Local
- Native flowers: What every Nevada lover should know
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe
- Bobcat sighting in Carson City; Nevada Department of Wildlife says it is not unusual
- Plasma, blood donors needed to help Carson City student with encephalitis
- Nevada Appeal, Record-Courier weekend edition goes to press early