Possible zoning change would allow transported material near homes | NevadaAppeal.com

Possible zoning change would allow transported material near homes

Samantha Fredrickson, Appeal Staff Writer

Carson City resident Mildred Heinz is worried that a zoning rule change might cause her quiet neighborhood to be invaded by noisy construction trucks.

The proposed change would allow construction companies to transport and sell materials they process at temporary construction sites near residential areas.

An ordinance already allows construction companies to set up temporary processing facilities in areas that border residential neighborhoods, but the proposed change would allow the rocks excavated and processed at these sites to be used in other construction projects.

The proposed zoning ordinance change would help Paragon Associates, a construction company building homes in the Northridge subdivision in north Carson City.

The company planned at the beginning of this phase of Northridge construction to set up a 24-acre temporary processing plant south of East College Parkway and Table Rock Drive to extract and crush excess rocks.

However, Jim Bawden, owner of Paragon Associates, said there was much more rock then he expected. Paragon workers began processing the rock on site and were cited by the city’s planning department, who said they needed a permit to do the work at the Northridge site.

Bawden requested the ordinance change so the company can use the material in other projects and sell it to other companies.

If granted a special use permit, Bawdin said the temporary processing plant would be in operation for several months.

“It’s not a very long period of time,” Bawdin said.

He said using the extra rock in other projects would be the most economical and feasible option to either getting rid of the rocks or moving them to an off-site processing plant.

“It’s a common sense approach to using our Earth’s resources,” Bawdin said.

Heinz said she is worried the zoning proposal means more trucks will be traveling near homes and schools, disrupting the lives of many Carson residents.

Residents received notices regarding the proposed ordinance change, but Heinz said they were vague and hard to understand.

Senior planner Lee Plemel said he received many calls from concerned and confused residents. He said any construction company can apply for a special use permit to set up an excavation plant in a limited industrial district.

Now companies must use the excavated rock on location in their projects. Bawden’s requested change would allow developers to sell extra material to be used in other projects throughout the city.

The proposed change is on the agenda at the next Carson City Planning Commission meeting Wednesday, July 31 at 3:30 p.m. Residents are invited to the public hearing.

Heinz said she plans on going to the meeting with letters from upset residents.

“I believe if we got together and got an attorney we could stop it,” Heinz said. “This is not right.”


What: Carson City Planning Commission Public Hearing

Where: Carson City Community Center, Sierra Room, 851 East William St.

When: Wednesday, July 31, 3:30 p.m.

The planning commission is accepting written comments. Mail to the Carson City Planning and Community Development Department, 2621 Northgate Lane, Ste. 62, Carson City, NV 89706 or e-mail comments to plandept@ci.carson-city.nv.us