Power lines blamed for Jumbo Grade area fire
RENO, Nev. (AP) – Two power lines that touched during wind gusts have been blamed for a 14-acre wildfire that had threatened some homes in Washoe Valley south of Reno.
Fire information officer Steve Frady today said NV Energy crews were working in the Jumbo Grade area on Thursday when they placed a protective device on a power line.
He says the device acted like a sail when winds picked up and caused the power line to swing into the other line, sparking the fire at about 2 p.m.
The blaze was fully contained overnight.
About eight nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution, but residents were able to return in the early evening.
The incident caused a power outage that affected 1,600 customers in Washoe Valley. Power was later restored.