Q&A Tuesday: Lyon County animal services supervisor says helping animals mostly about helping people | NevadaAppeal.com

Q&A Tuesday: Lyon County animal services supervisor says helping animals mostly about helping people

BRAD HORN/Nevada Appeal Ted Bolzle, supervisor of Lyon County Animal Services, holds Poppy, a 2- to 3-year-old Terrier mix, at the shelter. Bolzle said the shelter hasn't euthanized an adoptable dog since September 2004.

As Lyon County’s Animal Services supervisor, Ted Bolzle concentrates on helping both animals and people.

“I like the aspect of helping people and helping the animals,” he said. “A lot of people think this job is just helping animals, but you are also helping people who have animal-related problems.”

Bolzle, 40, was a kennel master in the U.S. Navy before retiring and taking on a narcotics investigator’s job with the Humboldt-Pershing Narcotics Task Force until 2003, when he started in his current job.

What’s the most satisfying aspect of your job?

Helping animals that are in abusive or neglectful situations find an owner who will take care of them. Helping members of the community with animal related problems, like barking dogs or destructive dogs.

What kind of calls are common for your department?

Stray animals, animals on the highway creating a safety concern, failure to care for animals.

What is your average response time on calls?

It varies. We prioritize our calls and deal with the most severe first. One of the factors in our response time is the geographic makeup of our county. For example, should an officer be in the Mound House area and have to respond to the far southern part of the county, we’re faced with a two or two-and-one-half-hour commute time.

Are stray dogs and cats a problem in Lyon County?

Yes, dogs much more than cats.

What should people do if they have a stray hanging around, or an injured stray?

Contact our office at 577-5005.

Is dumping of unwanted pets a problem in Lyon County?

We do have a problem due to the remoteness of many areas of our county.

What are the penalties for doing that?

It’s a misdemeanor through our county code.

What do you do if people’s herd or farm animals get away from them?

We assist them in locating the animals and notify the Department of Agriculture’s Brand Inspection Division.

How much of a threat are coyotes and other wildlife to people’ pets or farm animals?

They are a threat. We have had several reports of them attacking pets and livestock.

What can people do to keep their animals safe in an emergency such as the recent flooding?

As with your family, have an emergency-evacuation kit and plan. Have shipping crates and food for a few days for your smaller animals, and for livestock, make arrangements to transport the animals if you don’t have a trailer. Plus early evacuation is key, instead of waiting until mandatory evacuations are ordered. We have limited resources and rely on volunteers and local groups to assist us during evacuations. Anyone wishing to assist during emergency evacuations should contact Officer Rick Smith at 577-5005.