Rules for converting rentals to condos before commission |

Rules for converting rentals to condos before commission

Terri Harber
Appeal Staff Writer

Apartment owners interested in selling rental units as condominiums are seeking guidance from Carson City planners on what the city will require them to do before they could put such units on the market.

An ordinance will be brought before the Planning Commission on Wednesday. Planners say it is unknown how many owners plan to convert their properties.

Among considerations would be how to best ease the transition from rental to owner-occupied dwellings for the people who would be displaced: low- and moderate-income renters who wouldn’t be able afford purchase of the units they occupy.

Senior citizens and families with children are among the groups of renters who traditionally have a rough time finding rentals, even when the market is going their way. The ordinance tries to “reduce and ease the impact of displacement.”

The proposal for Carson includes some physical standards. For example, apartments buildings without individual utility meters may be required to add them before the units can be sold.

To keep balance in the overall housing market, the apartment occupancy rates will be monitored to ensure there is an adequate number of rental units available.

Carson’s proposed ordinance is based somewhat on the city of Reno’s conversion ordinance approved in 1980.

If the commission opts to recommend the ordinance, it would be heard next by the Carson City Board of Supervisors.

“We don’t expect a flurry of conversions,” said Sean Foley, associate planner. “There aren’t too many apartments that can be easily converted, so we don’t anticipate a rush.”

High-end apartment units in Carson are few.

One, Tanglewood Village, is being marketed as a rental property. It is also viable as condominiums because it was planned that way.

In Henderson, higher-end properties are most likely to undergo conversion. In Reno, primarily hotels and other higher-end apartments have been changed over, Foley said.

— Contact reporter Terri Harber at tharber or 882-2111, ext. 215.

If you go

What: Carson City Planning

Commission meeting

When: 3:30 p.m. Wednesday,

condominium issue slated for 8:30 p.m.

Where: Sierra Room, Community Center, 851 E. William St.