Sandbags to be available to residents
The Carson City Public Works Department is providing sandbags to the public so residents can control debris and mud runoff during rainfall anticipated early today.
Rain was expected to continue falling today, stop tonight and resume Saturday, according to the National Weather Service in Reno.
The sandbags are free but must be picked up, and the city won’t provide equipment or personnel to assist people in taking away sandbags.
Because the sandbags are surplus inventory, they are only available first-come, first-serve.
People obtaining sandbags also will be responsible for disposing of them after use. Sand in the bags should be placed in areas that will not change or block normal water drainage patterns. Empty bags should be placed in residential trash containers. The city won’t retrieve sandbags at private residences.
Do not return the bags or sand to the pickup areas or leave it in road rights-of-way.
The sandbags are available at the following locations:
• North end of Oakridge Drive, Silver Oak Subdivision
• Smith’s Food and Drug Store, Washington and North Valley streets
• Winnie Lane and Ormsby Boulevard
• Brush Drive near Ash Canyon Road
• Mountain Street trailhead lot near Fleischmann Way
• End of South Ormsby Boulevard at King Street
• Kings Canyon Road where Kings Canyon Creek crosses the road
• Ormsby Boulevard at Washington Street
• James Drive at Mark Way
• Parking lot at south end of Edmonds Sports Complex
Call 887-2355 for details.
Secret Witness turns 40 this year – and it’s helped solve many of Northern Nevada’s most violent crimes
Secret Witness tips have played a pivotal role in solving some of the most violent crimes the greater Northern Nevada region has seen. To date, Secret Witness has paid out more than $300,000 in rewards to anonymous tipsters. Rewards range from $50 (graffiti/tagging) to $1,500 (armed robbery) to $2,500 (murder).