Second Democrat enters Assembly 27 race
November 6, 2009
A second Democrat has announced a bid for the Reno Assembly seat being vacated by Sheila Leslie.
Leslie, who is barred from running again in District 27 by term limits, is running for state Senate.
Byllie Andrews, a retired Washoe teacher, said she decided last year to run for the post.
“I’ve called this place home since 1970 and I’ve noticed that Nevada inevitably finds itself, year after year, relying on a boom-and-bust economy based on gaming and tourism,” she said.
Andrews said the state needs to find dependable income sources, not stop-gap measures.
She is a former chair of the Nevada Women’s Lobby and chair of Grassroots Lobby Days.
Recommended Stories For You
Fellow Democrat Teresa Benitez Thompson, a medical social worker, also has announced a run for the District 27 seat, which includes west central Reno south of Interstate 80 and the downtown.
Trending In: Local
- Chicago-flavor restaurant coming to Carson City
- NV Energy CEO criticizes Energy Choice amendment
- 2018 Primary Election guide: Justice of the Supreme Court, Seat C
- Cardoza pleads guilty to second-degree murder in 2013 Carson City case
- Arrest for using cell phone while driving, says Carson City Sheriff’s Office