Snow possible through Valentine’s weekend
While current forecasts are unsure of the storm’s timing, snow in the region may arrive as soon as Saturday evening, although heavy snow might not reach the area until Sunday.
Kyle Mozley of the National Weather Service said Friday’s meager snowfall in the valley is a precursor to an active system moving into the region.
Current forecasts indicate that the higher elevations could see up to 2 feet of snow, with a couple of inches reaching the valley.
But, Mozely said, the storm’s pattern is tricky and if it moves further west, snow amounts in Western Nevada will lessen.
“We’re hoping that it hits further this way,” he said. “We need the snow.”
Carson City’s forecast through Monday:
– Saturday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 10 a.m. Partly cloudy, with a high near 38. South wind around 10 mph.
– Saturday night: A 20 percent chance of snow after 10 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. South wind around 10 mph.
– Sunday: A 50 percent chance of snow before 10 a.m., then a chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 39. South wind between 10 and 15 mph.
– Sunday night: A 50 percent chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a low around 29. South wind around 15 mph.
– Presidents Day: Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39.
– Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.