Son stands by father, stepmother charged in 7-month-old’s death |

Son stands by father, stepmother charged in 7-month-old’s death

Jarid Shipley
Appeal Staff Writer
Published Caption: None

The oldest son of the man accused in the death of his 7-month-old child said he felt shock when he heard of his father’s and stepmother’s arrest.

Ryan Anderson, 21, said it isn’t possible that Paul and Aurora Anderson, his father and stepmother, did what the Carson City District Attorney’s office is accusing them of doing.

“I’m not going to say this isn’t like him, because that leaves it open that he could have done this. This isn’t him. He isn’t capable of this,” Ryan said.

Paul and Aurora Anderson were in Carson City District Court on Tuesday, where both were arraigned on charges of second-degree murder resulting from neglect and child neglect resulting in substantial bodily harm.

Both pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The Anderson’s 7-month-old son, Tyrone, was found dead in the couple’s South Carson City apartment at about 6:30 a.m. April 19, 2006. Paul Anderson told investigators he found the boy unresponsive in his crib, and that he carried the baby into the living room where he tried to administer CPR at the direction of 911 operators.

The couple told investigators Tyrone had fallen off a bed several feet onto a carpeted floor the previous evening. Both parents deny harming the child, but a pathologist testified during a preliminary hearing that the four-inch fracture on the baby’s head couldn’t have been caused by a fall.

Ryan Anderson, who is on leave from Naval Station Everett, Wash., was in court Tuesday to support his father and stepmother. He has served in the U.S. Navy for three years.

“They tried for two years to have kids. They were both on fertility drugs and almost gave up. When they had (Tyrone’s brother) they were ecstatic and overjoyed. Then they had Tyrone and it was beyond belief,” Ryan said. “Everyone who knows them knows how much they loved their kids.”

Paul Anderson married Aurora six years ago during a ceremony in the same courtroom where they were arraigned Tuesday.

Paul’s ex-mother-in-law was also in court to support the Anderson family.

“I’m here because I believe totally in his innocence. I have told everyone I know that he’s incapable of harming his children,” said Jeanne Fields, of Carson City.

Ryan also said he believes it’s ridiculous that the couple can’t get bail and is forced to sit in jail despite weak evidence against them.

“I’ve been here a week and I haven’t been able to see them because the guy who does visitation at the jail is sick. They say (Aurora) is a flight risk because she has family in Mexico, but before they were arrested she went down to visit and came back. That doesn’t sound like much of a risk,” Ryan said.

The case is scheduled for trial Nov. 26 through Dec. 7.

• Contact reporter Jarid Shipley at or 881-1217.


See more