Spin outs near Lakeview Hill, I-80 partially closed
About half a dozen spin outs are slowing down traffic on Lakeview Hill as commuters begin to make their way home tonight.
About two to four inches of snow was expected to fall in Carson City today with another one to three inches tonight, according to the National Weather Service in Reno.
A winter weather advisory is in effect until 10 p.m. tonight.
The California Highway Patrol closed part of U.S. Interstate 80 in the Sierra Nevada after about a dozen cars and trucks were involved in a wreck in a heavy snowstorm.
No injuries have been reported in the accident that occurred about 1:45 p.m. Thursday near Cisco Grove, Calif., about 22 miles west of Truckee, Calif.
The patrol has shut down the westbound lanes of the interstate between Truckee and the accident. They were expected to remain closed into the night.
The series of winter storms that began moving in from the Pacific Ocean early this week has dumped more than 2 feet of snow in the upper elevations of the Sierra and several inches in Reno.
Snow chains are also required on U.S. 395 between Carson City and Reno. Below is a road conditions report from the Nevada Department of Transportation:
– Road closed for 39 miles between 2.7 miles west of Rainbow
California Exit 168 and California State Line.
– Snowtires or chains required for 6.9 miles between California State
Line and 0.1 miles west of Mogul Exit 7.
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 11 miles
between 10.6 miles east of Kyburz California and 4.1 miles west of
Junction of California State Route 89.
– Snowtires or chains required for 21.1 miles between 0.7 miles east
of California State Line and 0.4 miles west of Junction US 395 at
South Carson City.
– Snowtires or chains required for 43.2 miles between Fallon and 0.5
miles east of Junction State Route 121-Dixie Valley Road.
– Snowtires or chains required for 17 miles between 5.1 miles south of
Delmar Road and 0.4 miles south of Junction State Route 317-Rainbow
– Snowtires or chains required for 26.9 miles between Bridgeport
California and 17 miles south of California State Line.
– Snowtires or chains required for 34.2 miles between 0.3 miles north
of California State Line and South Junction US 50.
– Snowtires or chains required for 10.8 miles between 2.3 miles north
of Junction US 395 Business and State Route 529-North Carson Street
and 1.8 miles north of Washoe Hill-South of Reno.
– Snowtires or chains required for 26.8 miles between Junction US 50
and Tahoe City California.
– Snowtires or chains required for 30.4 miles between 7 miles east of
Quincy California and Beckwourth California.
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 60.3 miles
between 9 miles east of Pine Grove California and 3.5 miles east of
– Snowtires or chains required for 7.9 miles between California State
Line and Junction US 395.
– Closed for the winter for 7.7 miles between 2.8 miles north of
Junction US 50 and Bliss State Park.
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 7.2 miles
between Bliss State Park and Tahoma.
– Snowtires or chains required for 52.9 miles between Tahoma and 7
miles north of Calpine California.
– The Associated Press contributed to this report