Storm wallops region
A winter storm warning for heavy snow remains in effect until 10 a.m. this morning, according to the National Weather Service.
Snow will continue through this morning with the heaviest snow falling before 8 a.m. in southern Washoe County, Carson City, Storey County, northern Lyon County and western Churchill County.
Total snow accumulations estimated at more than five inches on valley floors mainly north of Carson City. Snow accumulations up to 12 inches above 5000 feet.
The snow band will continue to move across southeast Plumas and far eastern Sierra counties into southern Washoe, Storey and northern Lyon counties through late this morning.
Unstable air aloft and the associated cold front has produced moderate to heavy snow with snowfall rates of one to two inches per hour.
These snowfall rates will continue through early this morning then begin to decrease. The snow band is fairly narrow so only a narrow strip in the warning area will receive the heaviest accumulations. Outside of this narrow band accumulations will be much lighter.
Highs expected between 34 to 44 degrees.
According to the Nevada Department of Transportation, chains or snow tires are required on the following roads:
• State Route 208 between 16.3 miles south of Yerington and 13.9 miles south of Yerington.
• Highway 50:
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 2.5 miles between 14 miles east of Placerville Calif. and 1.8 miles east of Pollock Pines Calif.
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 11 miles between 10.6 miles east of Kyburz Calif. and 4.1 miles west of Junction of Calif. State Route 89.
– Snow tires or chains required for 141.8 miles between 0.4 miles west of Junction Highway 395 at South Carson City and 3.9 miles west of Antelope Turnout.
– Snow tires or chains required for 17 miles between Junction Highway 95 Alternate and Junction Highway 50 at Leetville.
• Highway 395:
– Snowtires or chains required for 186.7 miles between south Highway 50 and 1.6 miles south of Chocolate Factory. – Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 27.2 miles between 0.4 miles north of Bordertown Exit 83 and Doyle Calif.
• State Route 88:
-Snowtires or chains required for 6.8 miles between 3.6 miles west of Dew Drop Calif. and Cooks Station Calif.
– Chains required except for four wheel drive vehicles for 42.1 miles between Cooks Station Calif. and Junction State Route 89 at Picketts Junction.
– Snowtires or chains required for 4.7 miles between Junction State Route 89 at Picketts Junction and 1.1 miles west of Woodfords Calif.
• State Route 341:
– Snowtires or chains required for 22.1 miles between Highway 50 and Highway 395.
– Bottom of Geiger Grade.
• State Route 342:
– Snowtires or chains required for 3.8 miles between State Route 341 at Silver City and State Route 341 at Virginia City.