Summer Camps: Try one – or more – of these camps for kids
When school’s out for summer, parents are often left wondering how best to keep the kids engaged. No need to worry. There is plenty to do in Carson City and the surrounding areas, and the Nevada Appeal has compiled a list of summer camps. So, settle back and take a look at what’s out there.
• Western Discovery LLC Summer Tour Camp: Ages 7-12. Pick up at 8:30 a.m. at the old Kmart Building on College Parkway and North Carson Street. Return 4:30 p.m. Weekly sessions June 14-18, July 12-16, Aug. 9-13. Cost $179 per person. Five days of adventure includes Monday Lake Tahoe, Tuesday Carson Valley and Carson City, Wednesday Virginia City and Carson City, Thursday Pyramid Lake and Wild Horse Corrals, Friday Carson City and Washoe Valley. Complete itineraries, reservations or more info: Ann Thomas or Jayne Lundberg, 775-329-9933 or email@example.com.
• Christian Music/Drama Camp: Middle-school age. June 7-11, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Hosted by R.O.C.K. Music Ministry at First Baptist Church, Carson City, 1750 N. Mountain St. For students who love to act, sing and dance. Will conclude with a performance June 11 at 7 p.m. Lunch is provided. No fee. You don’t need to be a church member to participate. More information or to register, Linda Tarulli, 775-883-4714.
• Carson City Summer Kamp 2010: Monday through Friday, June 14-Aug. 13 from 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Kindergarten through 9th grade. Games, swimming, field trips, leadership training. Registration May 10 at the Carson City Aquatic Facility at 8 a.m. Cost $85 per week per child. More information: Meagan Soracco at 775-283-7428 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Gifted and Academically Talented and Adventure Camps: Carson City School District.
For students currently in GATE classes.
June 8-11, GATE science camp, 8:30-11:30 a.m. Empire Elementary GATE students, meets at EES.
June 14-17, GATE adventure science camp, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Seeliger Elementary School GATE students, meets at Carson Middle School.
June 8-11, Make a Splash, Make a Difference Environmental Camp, 8:30-noon, Carson and Eagle Valley middle schools’ 6th grade GATE students, meets at CMS.
June 8-11, GATE engineering camp, 8:30 a.m.-noon, Carson and Eagle Valley middle schools’ 7th grade GATE students, meets at CMS.
More information: charris4646
• Space & Science Exploration Camps, Mind Builders LLC: Kindergarten through 6th grade. Strong emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics exploration using some of the latest NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory educational materials. Students will build rockets, explore the universe and train to become an astronaut. Go to http://www.mindbuildersllc.com for updates on our latest class schedules and camps. Camps have different curriculums. June 14-18 and July 12-16 at Carson City Airport. 10 a.m.-
4 p.m. daily. Graduation ceremonies 3 p.m. Fridays. Cost $275. More information: Michelle Wise Bellard, 775-220-3077 or go to http://www.mindbuildersllc.com.
• Carson City Symphony Association’s Strings in the Summer: Mondays June 14, June 21, June 28, July 12, July 19 and July 26 from 8:30-10 a.m. Introduction to fiddle and folk music, primarily for younger students, and for violinists and violists of any age who have limited experience. Wednesdays June 16, June 23, June 30, July 14, July 21 and July 28, Fiddlin’ Fun melodies, harmonies and Improvisations, for advanced beginner to intermediate violinists and violists. Thursdays June 17, June 24, July 1, July 15, July 22 and July 29, String Ensemble for advanced beginner to intermediate players, fun tunes for orchestra, arrangements for violin, viola, cello and bass. All classes 8:30-10 a.m., Children’s Museum of Northern Nevada, 813 N. Carson St. Instructor Sue Kitts. Free, but space limited. More information: 775-450-5584 or email@example.com.
• Capital Christian Child Development Center Summer Programs: Ages 5-8. July 7-Aug. 20. Cost $403 per month. 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Field trips include swimming, zoo, park, fun days, movie days, water days, games and crafts. Pre-kindergarten readiness summer school June 7-July 2 and July 5-30, ages 4-6, 8:30-11:30 a.m. or noon-3 p.m., $150 per month, includes math concepts, small motor skills, confidence building. More information: Sherry Goodale, 1600 Snyder Ave., 775-883-3009.
• Wild Horse Children’s Theater’s Summer on Broadway: Summer camp for ages 8-14 will be three weeks, July 12-29, from 4-7 p.m. with performances July 30-Aug. 1 at Artown in Reno and at the Children’s Museum in Carson City. Acting, performance skills, theater games, puppetry, teamwork, making props, the set, costumes, hair, makeup, lighting, sound effects. Instructor Jonathon Josten. Cost $125. Summer camp for ages 5-7, will be one week, July 19-23, from 10-11:30 a.m. Acting, performance skills, theater games, teamwork, arts and crafts. Instructor Lillian Schaupp. Cost: $50. Funny Just Happens, improv for everyone is Aug. 9-21 with introductory course for ages 10-14 from 4-6 p.m. and in-depth course for ages 15 through adult from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Cost is $100. Coach Jonathon Josten. More information: http://www.wildhorsetheater.com, 775-887-0438 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tumbleweeds Summer Camp Sessions: Ages: Overnight Camp 6-14, Adventure Camp 6-14, Summer Fun 6-12, and Tumble & Play 4 and up. Costs range from $145-$269. Week-long camps run all summer from June 14-Aug. 13. Overnight Camp July 18-23 $699. More information, 3633 Research Way #104, 775-841-4962 or http://www.tumbleweeds
• ComputerCorps TechCamp Every Home a Classroom: Ages 10-15. Two-week program includes computer recycling, testing and assembly, while building a computer system kids can take home or give to a needy family at the end of camp. Mondays-Fridays, 1:30-4:30 p.m. TechCamp Bravo, June 21-July 2. TechCamp Charlie, July 12-23. TechCamp Delta, July 26-Aug. 6. TechCamp Echo, Aug. 9-20. Cost $450 per camp, scholarships available. More information: 775-883-2323 or email@example.com.
• Boys & Girls Clubs of Western Nevada: Summer program registration is under way through June 3. Call for times. Orientation meeting required. Ages 6-18. Yearly membership fee $20. Our weekly summer session fees $25 for the first child, $20 for the second, and $15 for three or more children from the same family. Scholarships available. Club hours and dates of summer programming are 7 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Summer session is from June 7-Aug. 20. More information: 775-882-8820 or 1870 Russell Way.
• Lake Tahoe School Summer Camp Series: Ages 6-14. July 12-29. Day camps or overnight camps. Costs range from $200-$1,200. Offerings include art, science, drama, music, crafts, computers, outdoor adventures. Information: Charlie White, 995 Tahoe Blvd., Incline Village, 775-831-5828 or http://www.laketahoeschoolsummer.org.
• Tahoe Rim Trail Association, Sierra Nevada Journeys: Ages 13-17. Three-day service/learning backpacking trips including outdoor education, introduction to life in the woods and a day of trail work. July 16-18 and July 21-23. East side of the Lake Tahoe along the Tahoe Rim Trail. Cost $99. More information: Mila Dunbar-Irwin, 948 Incline Way, Incline Village, 775-298-0238.
• Space & Science Exploration Camps, Mind Builders LLC: Kindergarten through 6th grade. Strong emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics exploration using some of the latest NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory educational materials. Students will build rockets, explore the universe and train to become an astronaut. Go to http://www.mindbuildersllc.com for updates on our latest class schedules and camps. Aug. 2-6, South Lake Tahoe, location to be announced. All week-long summer camps are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. daily. Graduation ceremonies
3 p.m. Fridays. Cost $275. More information: Michelle Wise Bellard, 775-220-3077 or go to http://www.mindbuildersllc.com.
• The Performing Arts Project Summer Dance Camps: July 12-16 ballet boot camp 10 a.m.-
5 p.m. $180. July 12, 14, 16 mini-dance camp 9 a.m.-noon $110. Aug. 2-6 performing arts camp, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., $180. Aug. 9-13 worship dance camp, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., $180. Aug. 9, 11, 13 mini-worship dance camp, 9 a.m.-noon, $110. More information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-267-4446, 2556 Precision Drive #E, Minden.
• Minden Montessori School: Ages infant to 7 years. June 7-Aug. 13, 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Cost $270-$337.50. Field trips, science projects. More information: http://www.montessoriminden.com or 775-782-9180, 1695 County Road, Minden.
• Kids Kind of Place Preschool & Day Care: Ages 5-13. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays. Daily daycare cost $15. Trips cost $3.50-$8.50. Trip offerings include crafts, train rides, zoos, swim centers and more. More information: Pete and Nan Ferlisi, 2679 Vicky Lane, Minden, 775-267-2290.
• Challenger Sports British Soccer Camp: July 19-23, Douglas County Parks & Recreation. Sign up at http://www.challengersports.com. More information: Matt at 866-254-8304 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Douglas County Parks & Recreation Department Adventure Camps: Ages 5-12. Field trips include beaches, movies, trains, museums, bowling, roller skating, crafts and games. June 7- July 9, Jacks Valley Elementary School or Minden Elementary school. July 12-Aug. 17, Pinion Hills Elementary School or C.C. Meneley Elementary School. Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Cost $22 per day and includes admission fees, transportation cost and a daily snack. Register at 1327 Waterloo Lane in Gardnerville. More information 775-782-9828 or http://www.douglascountynv.gov.
• Tumbleweeds Summer Camp Sessions: Ages: Overnight Camp 6-14, Adventure Camp 6-14, Summer Fun 6-12, and Tumble & Play 4 and up. Costs range from $145-$269. Week-long camps run all summer from June 14-Aug. 13. Overnight Camp July 18-23 $699. More information, 2231 Meridian Blvd. #2, Minden or 775-782-4496 or http://www.tumbleweedsforkids.com.
• Challenger Sports British Soccer Camp: June 21-25, Lyon County Recreation. Sign up at http://www.challengersports.com. More information: Matt at 866-254-8304 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.