Supervisors to tour burned watershed | NevadaAppeal.com

Supervisors to tour burned watershed

Staff Report

Fire and water are on the agenda for Thursday’s meeting of the Carson City Board of Supervisors.

After deciding whether to approve a final version of the city’s watering schedule, the board will take a tour of areas burned by the Waterfall fire to asses damage to the city’s watershed.

So far, the city has spent approximately $100,000 on watershed recovery related to the Waterfall fire, and the tour will help determine what additional resources are necessary for complete recovery.

Twenty-nine percent of the area burned by July’s 8,700-acre fire falls within the borders of Carson City, and city crews have already begun recovery work, including placement of straw mulching, wattles and log erosion barriers in those areas.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, has committed to spending up to $2.6 million to reimburse the city for 75 percent of it’s recovery efforts. The other 25 percent will come out of city coffers.

A report last month by the Burned Area Emergency Response Team, or BAER, outlined repairs necessary to restore the local watershed.

Recommended Stories For You

At 9:15 a.m., the board is scheduled to submit final approval of the city-wide watering policy.

As it stands, people with odd-numbered addresses will be permitted to water their lawns before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and people with even-numbered addresses will be allotted Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays, excluding Monday as a day of rest.

Thursday’s caravan tour of fire damage will leave from the Carson City Community Center’s Sierra Room at 10:30 a.m., after the board’s public meeting.