Telemarketers get no sympathy from locals | NevadaAppeal.com

Telemarketers get no sympathy from locals

by Susie Vasquez, Appeal Staff Writer

Nevada’s “do-not-call” rule banning telemarketers goes into effect today and Northern Nevadans aren’t shedding any tears.

Minden resident Mary Soschia said she put herself on the “do-not-call” list months ago.

“I don’t like to be bothered by telemarketers on their terms,” she said. “I despise messages from lending consolidators. They’re getting what they deserve.”

“I try to be good-natured and polite about the calls, but they always take advantage of that,” said Incline Village resident Robert Falcon. “I hate hanging up. It puts a bitterness in you.

“People will shop where and when they want to shop, without someone trying to push something off on them,” he said.

Carson City resident Mickey LaFleur said she supports the do-not-call ruling, but questions the process.

“The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) investigated the problem, but they didn’t have the authority,” she said. “I have a problem with that.”

Tom Sargent, spokesman for Nevada Attorney General Brian Sandoval, said state law, created by Assembly Bill 232 during the 2003 Legislature, represents a contract with the residents to defend both the state and federal law.

“That is our commitment,” he said. “Right now, there is a constitutional question in Denver’s U.S. District Court, but not in Nevada. We encourage people to continue to sign up at our Web site, to help stop annoying telemarketing sales pitches.”

In the last week, the battle between the government and telemarketers has involved two federal judges, an appeals court, both houses of Congress, the White House, the Supreme Court and two federal agencies.

Late Monday, U.S. District Judge Edward W. Nottingham in Denver denied a request to suspend his decision blocking the Federal Trade Commission from running the list. He also warned the agency could face more legal action for using the Federal Communication Commission to skirt the order.

On Tuesday, the FTC asked the Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to suspend Nottingham’s ruling that blocked the agency from operating the list, The Associated Press report said.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee holding the hearing, bemoaned the uncertainties.

“A concept that to most people is as simple as ‘do not call me’ has become tremendously complex,” McCain said.

— To sign up on Nevada’s do-not-call list, go to the Attorney General Web site at http://www.donotcall.gov/.

TO REGISTER

Online: Visit http://www.donotcall.gov

By telephone: (888) 382-1222