The Volunteer Connection
March 25, 2012
Our featured organization this week is the Carson City Parks and Recreation Department, which is greatly in need of volunteers to help with its community theater productions. They will train you in light and sound, daytime building monitoring, custodianship and maintenance.
Perks are seeing all the shows free! Call Carol at 775-687-4680 x6 for more information.
Many other interesting opportunities for your review are listed below, but ask about others if you don’t connect with any of these.
1. Partnership Carson City (PCC) provides community education and prevention programs on substance abuse. PCC needs a volunteer one day a month to check its 30 pamphlet holders around town. Meal and mileage reimbursement provided.
2. Carson City Literacy is in need of volunteers to teach people of all ages to read. One-year commitment with two hours per week required. Training will beprovided.
3. Silver State Charter School is seeking math tutors to work with kids who need help in pre-algebra, algebra and simple geometry. Must have patience and basic skills in high school level algebra and simple geometry. All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several types of insurance. For details, call Carol at 775-687-4680 x 6. Please do not directly contact the agencies listed above.
Recommended Stories For You
4. The SPCA is looking for caring volunteers who can provide temporary foster care for cats and kittens that are not quite ready for adoption. They also need help with special events to raise money for this all-volunteer program. Some experience with animals is helpful.
5. People First of Nevada is seeking a caring volunteer to help guide the chapter officers to ensure that they are completing their assigned duties. Some knowledge of people with disabilities is desirable.
6. Nevada Department of Tourism & Cultural Affairs is seeking volunteers to assist in clerical duties as well as greeting people who are visiting the department and providing them information and directions to specific destinations. Exciting opportunity for volunteers who are people-oriented.
7. Drivers needed for RSVP Carson City to provide seniors transportation to the doctor. RSVP has its own van.
8. Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is seeking volunteers to fill its Victim Impact Panel Speaker and Victim Advocate volunteer positions. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and on-line training will be provided. Computer access and experience are required.
9. The Carson City Fire Department needs volunteers for its receptionist position, for which clerical experience is desired. Remember, these are the folks who protect us from fire. Try to help!
10. Northern Nevada Railway Foundation needs volunteers who love railroads. The foundation office in Carson City offers many exciting opportunities for volunteers.
11. Western Nevada College needs ushers for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company’s productions. Volunteers will receive free refreshments and a show souvenir, and are allowed to watch performances free of charge.
12. Are you an animal lover? The Carson City Animal Shelter needs volunteers to walk dogs and socialize with cats. Provide these little creatures with some loving attention.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several types of insurance. For details, call Carol at 775-687-4680 x 6. Please do not directly contact the agencies listed above.