• Muscle Powered hosts an 8:30 a.m. walk on the Centennial Park bike trail, meet at the back loop beyond the golf course clubhouse. Call 885-2166.
• St. Mary’s Hospice presents Chaplain Marilynn Uhart on “When there is no longer hope for the body, there’s hope for the spirit,” a hospice overview from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive. Includes Q&A; call 883-0703.
• Carson Area Metropolitan Organization and Carson City Regional Transportation Commission meeting, 5:30 p.m. at the Community Center Sierra Room, 851 E. William St.
• Carson City Library Foundation holds an Oktoberfest committee meeting, 4 p.m. at the library, 900 N. Roop St. Open to the public; call Pat Glick at 882-3480.
• “Preserving Nevada’s Past,” a free public presentation at 7 p.m. with Ron James, State Historic Preservation Officer at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, 2180 S. Carson St. Call 687-6953.
• Sierra Nevada Republican Women meet at noon at Two Guys from Italy, Gardnerville. Guest speaker is former Assemblywoman Dawn Gibbons. Call 265-2841.
• Carson Valley Desert Brushes meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Johnson Lane Firehouse, 1450 Stephanie Way, Minden. Open to painters of all levels; free. Call 265-1937 or 883-7917.
• Free lecture on “Reversing Diabetes with Nutrition,” 6:30-8:30 p.m. at 969 Springfield Drive, Gardnerville. Call Barbara Boeving at 265-0427.
• Gold Hill Theater Troupe After Dinner Theater, 8 p.m. in the Great Room. Features “Vengeance and Vendetta on the Comstock.” Costs $28 includes dinner; play only $8. Reservations: 847-0111.
• Capital City Arts Initiative Caffeine Gallery at Comma Coffee presents a monthlong exhibit by Paul Ford, 312 S. Carson St. Call 287-2252.
• WNCC Carson City Student Art Show through Tuesday. Call 445-3000.
• Archaeology Awareness and Historic Preservation Week. Includes excavating the historic Acey Person’s Sawmill Saturday, call Greg Haynes at 884-8102; Nevada Rock Art Foundation tour, call Alanah Woody at 315-5497; walking tour of Wells Avenue neighborhood, call Susie Carter at 787-3170, and many more in Carson City, Virginia City and Reno. Call Bob Harmon at 687-8323.
• Gold Hill Hotel Lecture Series features Roger Bowen Weld on “Steamboat Springs Revisited” at 7:30 p.m. Buffet available from 5-7 p.m., $15 includes lecture; lecture only $5. Call 847-0111.
• 4-H in Silver City: Silver City Green Thumbs Garden Club will begin meeting the second Tuesday of each month, beginning at 6:30 p.m. today. Call Mary MacDonald at 847-7716 for details.
• Douglas County Planning commission meets at 1 p.m. in the courtroom of the County Administrative Building, 1616 Eighth St., Minden. Call 782-9005.
• Pathway to Fitness Symposium, 6:30-8 p.m. at Minden Medical Center Conference Room, 925 Ironwood Drive. Call 790-1510.
• Melissa Dru performs at the Carson Nugget Show Lounge through Sunday. No cover; call 882-1626.
• Major Link performs at the Carson Valley Inn, Minden through Sunday. Call 782-9711.
• Community Council on Youth advisory board meeting, 8:30 a.m. at the Carson City Community Center Bonanza Room, 851 E. William St. Ongoing discussions on youth, family needs and resources in Carson City. Call 841-4730.
Secret Witness turns 40 this year – and it’s helped solve many of Northern Nevada’s most violent crimes
Secret Witness tips have played a pivotal role in solving some of the most violent crimes the greater Northern Nevada region has seen. To date, Secret Witness has paid out more than $300,000 in rewards to anonymous tipsters. Rewards range from $50 (graffiti/tagging) to $1,500 (armed robbery) to $2,500 (murder).