Transient’s body found near South Carson Street
December 6, 2013
A 53-year-old transient was found dead about 11:40 this morning in a sagebrush field at the corner of Clearview Drive and Curry Street.
The man's likely cause of death was exposure to extreme cold, said Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong. No foul play is expected.
The body was discovered by the man's friends who were sleeping in tent nearby. According to officers on the scene, the friends said the group was drinking the night before. The two went to sleep in the tent and gave their friend a blanket.
"About two years ago, we had a very similar incident downtown," Furlong said. "Where this guy was today is an area where we found a body several years ago. Services are not always available to house the numbers of the homeless when the weather falls out like it's done this week."
The man hasn't yet been identified pending notification of his family.
"If you mix this cold with alcohol, you will put yourself in dire (straits) very fast," Furlong said.
Trending In: Local
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit
- Carson City Aquatic Facility reopening on Tuesday
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’