Trial set in child abuse case
An April trial date has been set for a Carson City stepfather accused of injuring his 3-year-old stepdaughter, leaving the child with permanent brain damage.
Justin Charles Carrigan, 27, entered a not guilty plea Tuesday to a felony charge of child abuse causing substantial bodily harm.
According to police reports, Carrigan was home alone with Rochelle Ellis, 3, when the child lost consciousness.
Testimony from a neighbor during a preliminary hearing suggested Carrigan allegedly waited a least 10 minutes before calling for help after finding Rochelle not breathing because he was concerned he had spanked her earlier.
The trial is set to begin on April 19.
Also in Carson City District Court this week:
• Randall James Green, 39, was sentenced to 14 to 36 months in prison on charge of possession of a controlled substance.
• Markoz Manuel Martin Dominguez, 25, pleaded guilty to sale of a controlled substance. He faces up to six years in prison and a $20,000 fine when sentenced on March 7.
• Gregory Allen Martin, 34, was sentenced to 12 to 36 months in prison on a charge of conspiracy to violate the uniform controlled substance act. He received credit for 74 days time served.
• Thomas William Hinsen, 51, was given probation up to three years, with a suspended jail sentence of 12 months on a gross misdemeanor charge of possession of a dangerous drug without a prescription.
• Franklin Trevino, had his probation revoked for attempting to cheat a urinalysis test by bringing clean urine to the probation office. Trevino must now serve 12 months in jail, with credit for 129 days time served, on a charge of gross misdemeanor possession of a dangerous weapon.