Two area fires level one home, damage another, injure deputy |

Two area fires level one home, damage another, injure deputy

by peter thompson and F.T. Norton
Appeal Staff Writers
Neighbor Gretchen Wood talks to Carol Godec, who was injured when the house on Silver Sage she was staying in caught fire Thursday. Kevin Clifford Nevada Appeal

Two fires Thursday destroyed a home in Silver Springs, damaged a Carson City home, and burned a deputy trying to evacuate neighbors.

A double-wide mobile home on Atkins Street in Silver Springs was fully involved when fire crews arrived 2:45 p.m., said firefighter Mark Secrist. Crews were able to contain the blaze, but a home nearby suffered minor damage.

According to Lt. Tom VanDalinda of the Lyon County Sheriff’s Department, Deputy Stephanie Haas received first- and second- degree burns as she was evacuating a nearby home.

“She was trying to get neighbors away from the fire. They were trying to get a vehicle out, and the fire was getting closer and Stephanie got a little too close,” he said.

Haas sustained blistering on parts of her arms and forehead, he said. She was treated and released from Lahontan Medical Center. The neighbors were unharmed.

At the same time, the Carson City Fire Department responded to reports of smoke coming from a house in the 4800 block of Silver Sage Drive around 2:45 p.m.

Strong, gusty winds thickened the white smoke, but firefighters managed to keep most of the flames at bay. Firefighters climbed onto the roof and used chain saws to cut open a strategic ventilation hole while the homeowners, one with minor burns, sat in a car on the street and watched.

On scene, Battalion Chief Dan Shirey said the cause of the fire was unknown.

“The wind definitely made everything worse,” he said, but firefighters seemed to stay a step ahead of the fire and soon had the smoke under control.

“One occupant suffered minor burns, but at this time is deciding not to go to the hospital,” he said. “One cocker spaniel was brought out of the house unharmed. There was a report of a a painter being in the house, but we looked thoroughly and couldn’t find anybody.”

Crews from Southwest Gas were out at the scene checking on a potential gas leak, but didn’t find anything.

The causes of both fires are under investigation.