Two killed in I-80 wreck
September 21, 2005
Two people were killed Wednesday morning in a fiery collision on Interstate 80 between Fernley and Sparks.
About 7:45 a.m., near mile marker 35, a westbound 1997 Chevrolet half-ton van driven by James Anderson, 29, of Fernley, crossed the dirt median and collided head-on with a 2003 GMC pickup driven by Robert Maxwell, 64, of Reno, said Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Chuck Allen.
The vehicles burst into flames, killing the drivers.
Both vehicles were licensed to businesses in the Reno/Sparks area.
Eastbound traffic was backed up for seven miles for about three hours. Westbound travel was not affected.
“It’s too early to determine if alcohol or drugs were a contributing factor, or if the driver of the van may have fallen asleep,” Allen said.
Recommended Stories For You
He described the location of the wreck as “pretty desolate,” 14 miles from Sparks and 11 miles from Fernley.
n Contact reporter F.T. Norton at email@example.com or 881-1213.
Trending In: Local
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- $10,000 reward offered in Gardnerville Ranchos homicides
- Sex under scrutiny: Sex worker Alice Little: ‘Something new is going to happen’
- Carson City lawyer finalist for judicial vacancy
- Carson City sets aside site for affordable housing