Vegas facilitator to mediate Lyon County dispute |

Vegas facilitator to mediate Lyon County dispute

Karen Woodmansee
Appeal Staff Writer
Ruth Urban

A Las Vegas-based professional facilitator will attempt to work out problems between some Lyon County commissioners and County Manager Donna Kristaponis.

Ruth Urban, who started the Ruth Urban Group in Las Vegas in 1998, is a certified professional facilitator. She will hold day-long meetings on Jan. 17 and March 21, the day before regularly scheduled commissioner meetings. She will report her progress at the Jan. 18 and March 22 commissioner meetings.

The commissioners held a special meeting last month to consider firing Kristaponis after she declined a request by commissioners Bob Milz and Phyllis Hunewill to resign. Neither Hunewill nor Milz would give a reason for the dispute.

After a wave of support by county staff and residents, the commissioners voted 5-0 to retain Kristaponis, and pursue a mediation plan set up by county human resources Director Steve Englert.

Englert chose Urban from several facilitators recommended by the Cooperative Human Resources Management.

According to her Web site, Urban works with groups and organizations to build stronger, more cohesive businesses. She holds a master’s degree and is an active member of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and National Association of Women Business Owners.

She is a graduate of the Leadership Las Vegas program and a recipient of the chamber’s September 2003 Circle of Excellence Award. She also received the Distinguished Leadership Award sponsored by the Community Leadership Association. She is a member of the International Association for Public Participation and the International Association of Facilitators.

Urban obtained the Certified Professional Facilitator designation in 2004 from the International Association of Facilitators.

Her Web site said she has many years of experience in conflict resolution and management.

Urban could not be reached for comment.

• Contact reporter Karen Woodmansee at or 882-2111 ext. 351.