Veterans Day Activities
November 8, 2004
Offices closed on Veterans Day
State offices and most Carson City government offices will be closed today for Veterans Day.
There will be no school for Carson City, Lyon, Storey or Douglas school district students. Western Nevada Community College campuses and learning centers will also be closed in observance of the holiday.
The Carson City Marriage Bureau, 885 E. Musser St., will be open from 9-4:30 p.m.
The front counter of the Carson City Sheriff’s Department will be closed, and there will be no visitation at the Carson City Jail.
The Carson City Senior Citizens Center will be open.
Recommended Stories For You
Dayton, Douglas County, Silver Springs, Storey County and Fernley senior centers will be closed.
The marriage bureau and other county offices in Lyon will be closed.
The Carson City, Douglas County and Lyon County public libraries will be closed.
The U.S. Post Office and its retail stations will be closed. Only express mail will be delivered. Most banks also will be closed for the holiday.
The Nevada Appeal will publish as usual and offices will be open.
Veterans Day Events
• Nevada State Parks will honor all veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces by allowing free entrance to all Nevada state parks. All current and former members of the Armed Forces and their immediate families will be allowed to visit any state park free of charge by presenting a valid military identification (active or retired) when entering the parks on Veterans Day. Call 687-4379.
• Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 388 hosts a Veterans Day Ceremony at Mills Park, 2 p.m., honoring all women veterans. Call 687-4632.
• Civil War Statue rededication ceremony, 2:30 p.m. at Lone Mountain Cemetery, corner of North Roop Street and Beverly Drive. Call 887-2111.
• American Legion High Desert Post 56 and Auxiliary Unit 56 meet at 7 p.m. at Veterans Hall, corner of Second and Curry streets. All veterans and eligible women welcome to attend. Call 841-1369.
• Veterans Day Ceremony, 9 a.m. at Dayton Ceremony, hosted by Dayton Chapter 8660 of Veterans of Foreign Wars.
• Virginia City annual Veterans Day Parade, 11 a.m. on C Street. Spaghetti feed after parade. Call 847-0311.