Virginia City fire quickly extinguished | NevadaAppeal.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Virginia City fire quickly extinguished

(Staff Report) ” A small fire broke out between two buildings along Virginia City’s historic C Street yesterday, with a local worker being the first to try to extinguish it.

At about 4:06 p.m. Pat Sterrett, a partner at the Antique Mall, 54 North C St., was warned by a passer-by that smoke was coming out from between her building and the one next door.

Sterrett called the fire department and grabbed her fire extinguisher to try to put the blaze out.

Storey County Volunteer Fire Chief Joe Curtis said the fire was accidental, apparently started by ashes from a wood stove that fell behind the building in the back on the B Street side.

The smoke was blowing out the front, however, and Curtis said it took awhile to locate the origin of the blaze.

He said the fire was extinguished by 4:38 p.m. There was minor damage to the exterior of the building. Both the Antique Mall and the store next to it were evacuated until the fire was out.