This week’s featured organization is Silver State Charter School. Silver State Charter School needs math tutors to work with kids who need help in pre-algebra, algebra and geometry. If you have these skills and can give some time call Carol at 775-687-4680 x6 for more information.
Many other interesting opportunities for your review are listed below, but ask about others if you don’t connect with any of these.
• The SPCA is looking for caring volunteers that can provide temporary foster care for cats and/or kittens that are not quite ready for adoption. They also need help with special events to raise money for this all volunteer program. Some experience with animals is helpful.
• Partnership Carson City provides community education and prevention programs for the community on substance abuse. PCC needs a volunteer one day a month to check its 30 pamphlet holders located around town. Meal and mileage reimbursement provided.
• People First of Nevada is seeking a caring volunteer to assist them as their adviser/mentor for its Carson City Chapter. The volunteer will help guide the chapter officers to ensure they are completing their assigned duties. Some knowledge of people with disabilities and the ability to guide, but not dominate the group is desirable.
• Nevada Department of Tourism & Cultural Affairs is seeking volunteers to assist in clerical duties as well as greeting persons who are visiting the department and providing them information and directions to specific destinations.
• The Carson City Fire Department needs volunteers for its receptionist position for which clerical experience is desired.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving is seeking volunteers to fill its Victim Impact Panel Speaker and Victim Advocate volunteer positions. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and online training will be provided. Computer access and experience required.
• Drivers needed for RSVP Carson City to provide seniors transportation to the doctor. RSVP has its own van.
• Western Nevada College needs ushers for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company’s productions. The 2012 season began on Feb. 10. Volunteers will receive free refreshments, a show souvenir, and are allowed to watch performances free of charge.
• Are you an animal lover? Carson City Animal Shelter needs volunteers to walk dogs and socialize with cats and provide some loving attention.
• Like to see great shows for free? The Carson City Parks and Recreation Department is training volunteers for its Community Center Theater for productions. They need light and sound technicians. This is exciting work and you get to see all the great shows in the theater. Also looking for volunteers for daytime building monitors, custodians, and maintenance.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several insurances. For details call Carol at 775-687-4680 ext. 6. Do not contact the agency(s) listed above directly.