April 1, 2012
Our featured organization this week is the RSVP Lifeline Program. Lifeline provides immediate emergency help to seniors who have fallen or taken ill or have other problems.
We need volunteers to install Lifeline telephone systems to help these seniors in Carson City, Douglas County and Washoe Valley. Volunteers will be trained and a van is available for their use.
Call Carol at 775-687-4680 x6 for more information.
Many other interesting opportunities for your review are listed below, but ask about others if you don’t connect with any of these.
• The SPCA is looking for caring volunteers that can provide temporary foster care for cats and/or kittens that are not quite ready for adoption. They also need help with special events to raise money for this all volunteer program. Some experience with animals is helpful.
• Like to see great shows for free? The Carson City Parks and Recreation Department is training volunteers for its Community Center Theater for productions. They need light and sound technicians. This is exciting work and you get to see all the great shows in the theater. Also looking for volunteers for daytime building monitors, custodians, and maintenance.
Recommended Stories For You
• Carson City Literacy is in need of volunteers to teach people of all ages to read. One-year commitment with two hours per week required. Training will be provided.
• Silver State Charter School is seeking math tutors to work with kids who need some extra help in pre-algebra, algebra and simple geometry. Must have patience and basic skills in high school level algebra and simple geometry.
• People First of Nevada is seeking a caring volunteer to assist them as their adviser/mentor for its Carson City Chapter. The volunteer will help guide the chapter officers to ensure they are completing their assigned duties. Some knowledge of people with disabilities and the ability to guide, but not dominate the group is desirable.
• Drivers needed for RSVP Carson City to provide seniors transportation to the doctor. RSVP has its own van.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving is seeking volunteers to fill its Victim Impact Panel Speaker and Victim Advocate volunteer positions. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and online training will be provided. Computer access and experience required.
• Northern Nevada Railway Foundation needs volunteers who love railroads. The Foundation office in Carson City offers many exciting opportunities for volunteers.
• Western Nevada College needs ushers for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company’s productions. The 2012 season began on Feb. 10. Volunteers will receive free refreshments, a show souvenir, and are allowed to watch performances free of charge.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several insurances. For details call Carol at 775-687-4680 ext. 6. Do not contact the agency(s) listed above directly.