Washoe Valley fire destroys mobile home
WASHOE VALLEY – A fire here Tuesday consumed a mobile home and four outbuildings before being controlled by Reno firefighters.
Reno Fire Battalion Chief Curtis Johnson said crews were called to 3320 Lyon Drive on the east side of Washoe Lake about 12:40 p.m.
One person was home when the fire started, but was able to escape, he said.
“What really got this sparking were the winds we had at that time,” Johnson said.
According to the National Weather Service, Washoe Valley saw wind gusts of between 30 to 35 mph with sustained winds between 20 to 25 mph.
Flames from the burning mobile home ignited surrounding brush and a vehicle in the driveway, then quickly spread to five acres, devouring some sheds.
Johnson said the fire also downed some power lines, and there was a concern about a gas leak because a gas meter had melted from the heat.
He said the cause is under investigation.