Wildfire survival tips
Planning for an Evacuation:
• If you are warned that a wildfire is threatening your area, listen to your radio for reports and evacuation information. Follow the instructions of local officials.
• Back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing the direction of escape. Shut doors and roll up windows of car. Leave the key in the ignition. Close garage windows and doors, but leave them unlocked. Disconnect automatic garage door openers.
• Arrange temporary housing at a friend or relative’s home outside the threatened area. Or report to a Red Cross Shelter. Activate your evacuation plan for your pets as well.
• If advised to evacuate, do so IMMEDIATELY. Take your Disaster Supplies Kit. Choose a route away from fire hazards per instructions of authorities. Watch for changes in the speed and direction of fire and smoke.
• Wear protective clothing – sturdy shoes, cotton or woolen clothing, long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, gloves, and a handkerchief to protect your face.
• Lock your home. Tell someone when you left and where you are going.
• Make sure that fire vehicles can get to your home. Ensure that driveway entrances are clearly marked.