Workers demolishing structures in path of next section of freeway
Appeal Staff Writer
Workers this week began removing now unused structures in preparation for phase two of the Highway 395 bypass.
Early Wednesday, a house in the 3300 block of South Edmonds Drive was knocked down. Other structures along the surrounding few blocks moving north on Edmonds, portions of Snyder and Bennett avenues and Center Drive, are all slated for demolition.
“It’ll be about a dozen homes,” said Scott Magruder, spokesman for the Nevada Department of Transportation. “All are within the path or rights of way for phase two of the freeway.”
NDOT has a $280,000 contract with Empire Construction, based in Incline Village, to knock down structures and remove pipes and other debris, Magruder said.
The demolition work should be complete by October.
While some locations are being cleared for the freeway, other properties are being kept until the bypass is completed, such as some homes on Ruby Lane and a building on the south side currently being occupied by NDOT employees.
Some pieces of land might not be needed for the freeway project and will be offered back to their previous owners when it is most prudent to dispose of the sites. If former owners don’t want to buy back the sites, then they would be sold to other interested parties, most likely by bids or at auction, Magruder said.
“We don’t want to be in the position of having to buy back property because we sold it prematurely,” he said.
Phase one extends from Arrowhead Drive to Highway 50 east and was completed last year.
Phase two will tie the freeway to South Carson Street at the base of Spooner Summit. The low bidder for that portion is Road and Highway Builders, LLC, of Reno, at $44.9 million.
That bid was more than $7 million less than NDOT’s $52.3 million estimate for the project.
The freeway is expected to be completed by 2011.
• Contact reporter Terri Harber at tharber @nevadaappeal.com or 882-2111, ext. 215.