Yacht runs aground on Indian Hill | NevadaAppeal.com

Yacht runs aground on Indian Hill

It was all fair and above board as the ship cruised quietly through Carson City on Friday morning. But that was it. At the top of Indian Hill, the Safari Rose began to disappear below the horizon as if dropping off the edge of the world and ran aground.

Not far from the summit, beginning the descent toward Gardnerville, the ship found trouble in the island median between the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 395 and came to rest. She was still stopped in front of Home Depot.

Aside from Nevada Highway Patrol siren blips at intersections, where she navigated around traffic lights, there were no other signs of foul weather as she cruised through town.

Pouring oil on troubled waters, the peace officers raced ahead of the yacht to direct traffic, as she rolled stop and go from light to light as if through a system of locks on her way to her home at the Tahoe Keys.

The bare-boat charter was run by Transcontinental Yacht Transport Inc. of San Diego, Calif.

The company specializes in moving ships through difficult waterways.

At 76 feet long, 19 feet wide and 20 feet tall, the yacht sailed higher than the 18-foot traffic lights blocking her way.

With the wood covering protecting the top of the boat from trees and wires, it looked like Noah’s Ark atop Mount Ararat.

The pilot car driver Koby Schou, of Texas, hopped out of his truck.

“Something came loose,” Schou said.

As Schou talked with the truck driver, NHP officers Blair Harkleroad and Wes Brown watched with their sunglasses on.

“Wanna buy a boat?” Harkleroad joked.

Originally built for 3M Corp., according to Don Phillips of the transport company, the sale price remains undisclosed.

The buyer was Woodwind Charters, who plan to use it as part of their charter operation.

Owner Steve Dunham is looking forward to adding the ship to his fleet.

“(The Safari Rose) is a one of a kind, and at the time it was built, money was not an issue,” Dunham said.

Shou said the 1959 Allied Marine craft navigated the back-road channels between here and Clarkston, Wash., — 693 miles — successfully until it got here — less than 40 miles from home.

Previously, she sailed between Alaska and Seattle.