Marie ‘G.G.’ Lowy Goodrich
Marie “G.G.” Lowy Goodrich, a Carson City resident for the past 44 years, died Dec. 8, 2003, the eve of her 95th birthday, at Evergreen Mountain View Care Center. She was born Dec. 9. 1908, in Manhattan Borough, N.Y., to Charles S. and Bertha Baruth Lowy.
She graduated from high school in Bronx, N.Y.
She married her first husband, Walter Cosgrove Jones, on March 19, 1926. He preceded her in death Oct. 24, 1945.
She married Leon R. Goodrich Aug. 24, 1954, and he died Nov. 12, 1965.
During World War II, Mrs. Goodrich worked at the North American Aviation Plant in El Monte, Calif. In 1952, she went to work at the Sister Kenny Polio Hospital in El Monte, Calif. She also worked at White Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles from 1954 to 1959.
She moved to Carson City in September 1959 and worked at the old Carson-Tahoe Hospital that burned down from 1959-63. She then went to work at the Carson City Post Office in 1963 and moved to the new post office on Washington Street, retiring in 1980. After her retirement, she worked part-time for various motels and did volunteer work at Carson-Tahoe Hospital and for other groups and organizations. She loved her cat Missy and wrote letters to the editor published in the Nevada Appeal.
She was preceded in death by her twin sister, Catherine Lowy Freeman April 2001; and brother, Manny Lowy in 1943.
Among her survivors are daughters Martha Abell of Seal Beach, Calif., and Roberta Sprague of Sparks; son, Harold Jones of Gardnerville; eight grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
A celebration of life will be at a later date. Her body was donated to University of Nevada, Reno for medical research.
FitzHenry’s Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.