More details emerge about McDonald’s raids; march staged in Reno | NevadaAppeal.com

More details emerge about McDonald’s raids; march staged in Reno

Associated Press

RENO ” A mysterious W-2 form prompted last week’s raids on 11 McDonald’s stores in Reno and Fernley, officials said.

A Fernley woman, whose name was not immediately available, became suspicious when she received a W-2 early this year that reported more income than she had earned.

The woman soon discovered someone at the Fernley McDonald’s where she used to work had been using her identity, Lyon County Sheriff’s Sgt. Russ Cadwallader said on Tuesday.

Last week, agents with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency raided the 11 stores, including the one in Fernley and arrested 54 workers suspected of being in this country illegally.

Eight have been deported to Mexico because of prior immigration violations. Sixteen remain in custody at detention centers and the rest were released for humanitarian reasons and are awaiting an appearance before an immigration judge next week.

Today, more than 400 people marched four miles from Miguel Ribera Park to the federal courthouse just south of downtown Reno to protest of the U.S. government’s position on immigration.

Young girls dressed in pink with duct tape over their mouths and wearing handcuffs led the procession, which included families with mothers pushing strollers.

At the federal building, a handful of people opposed to the march set up across the street, blocked from the group by Reno police officers.

The group of seven chanted, “Go home,” and the marchers responded, “We are home.”

At Sparks High School, an estimated 150 students, predominantly Hispanic, poured out of Sparks High school at 12:10 p.m. protest the raids. Their signs read: “Dont forget the children, theyre voiceless” and “We have hopes and dreams, take five minutes to listen.”

In Fernley, Cadwallader said it appeared that one or more employees had used information ” specifically Social Security numbers ” from former employees or job applicants.

None of the workers arrested in last week’s raids have been charged with any criminal violations, according to Gregory White, a supervisor in the Reno Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said.