Nevada reports 1st death from coronavirus in Las Vegas-area
LAS VEGAS — Nevada is reporting its first death from the new coronavirus.
Health officials in the Las Vegas area reported Monday morning that a man in his 60s who had been hospitalized with COVID-19 had died. The Southern Nevada Health District said the man had underlying health conditions.
For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed and more than 60,000 have so far recovered.
Nevada has reported at least 45 cases of the virus so far.
Gov. Steve Sisolak said at a news conference over the weekend that there are not enough kits in the state to test for the virus and is seeking more tests from the federal government.