Josephine “Jo” Geraldine Cowperthwaite
January 9, 2019
Mar 09, 1925 – Jan 05, 2019
Josephine “Jo” Geraldine Cowperthwaite passed away on January 5, 2019, in Carson City, Nevada.
Jo was born March 9, 1925 to parents Dewey and Florence Lawler. She grew up and attended high school in Linton, North Dakota before enlisting in the Marine Corps in 1945. After her honorable discharge, Jo attended Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado, obtaining a bachelor’s degree in business. Jo met Melvin “Mel” Cowperthwaite while attending college and the two married in Mandan, North Dakota on August 21, 1947. After graduating college, Jo and Mel moved to Nevada in 1949. Jo worked for the State of Nevada for 30 years before retiring and going back to school to obtain her law degree from Old Town College, graduating in 1989.
Jo is preceded in death by her husband Mel, her parents, and her brothers, Russ and George.
Jo is survived by her sister Frances Ricci (Olathe, KS), her daughter Jerie Adamson (Howard), her sons Melvin Thomas II and Lance (Pam), and her three grandchildren, Tommy, Lance Jr., and Katie.
Services will be held at Walton’s Chapel of the Valley on January 14, 2018, at 11:00 a.m.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Washoe County Sheriff: ‘Similarities’ between Douglas, Reno murders
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit