Walter E. MacKenzie
August 29, 2018
Feb 18, 1929 – Aug 16, 2018
Walter E. MacKenzie, 89, died Thursday, August 16th in Reno.
He worked for the Reno Gazette and Carson City Appeal newspapers as a reporter, photographer and editor, notably covering the first atomic bomb blast open to reporters in April of 1952.
Walt was for a time Director of Economic Development for the State of Nevada and also worked for Sierra Pacific Power. He was deeply proud of his 14 years with the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency.
He attended UNR but left to enlist in the Marine Corps during the Korean War. He was a member of The Clampers and served as tenth Noble Grand Humbug of the Snowshoe Thompson Chapter.
He is survived by daughter Brynne Dyer of Tigard, OR, son Roderick MacKenzie of Reno, younger sisters Patricia Barr of San Mateo, CA, L. Darlene Beveridge of Sunnyvale, CA, six nieces and nephews, and his dearest friend Ellyn MacKenzie of Sparks.
A service is being planned for a later date. To receive service information and to share stories with family email email@example.com.
Walt asked that remembrances go to the Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Bill would eliminate death penalty in Nevada
- Revamped Carson City theater holds 2 opening nights
- Apple finishes Reno warehouse, announces Northern Nevada expansion
- Public Utilities Commission: Nevada doesn’t get advance notice of plutonium shipments
- Seaside, California, man dies while skiing at Lake Tahoe