Obituary: Ervin J. Blochowiak | NevadaAppeal.com

Obituary: Ervin J. Blochowiak

Ervin J. Blochowiak of Dayton, youngest son of Michael and Lottie (Nasel) Blochowiak, died with great courage on May 20, 2009. Born in Pulaski , Wis., Dec. 7, 1918, Erv graduated from Pulaski High School and participated in the Conservation Corp program during the early 30s. He sincerely praised this program for the great good it did for young people in those hard times.

A member of the Greatest Generation, Erv served in the Army Air Corps, China Burma Theater, with General Claire Chenault’s Flying Tigers, attaining the rank of Master Technical Sergeant. While stationed in China, he taught Chinese children to play baseball in his off-duty hours and chronicled his visit in beautiful pictures and memories.

While stationed in Chico Calif., Erv swept Marguerite “Margie” Smith-Shippen off her feet, marrying her Feb. 9, 1947. Together for more than 62 years, they raised daughter Etta Jean, sons Michael Ervin and William Kenneth, and were later blessed with nine grandkids, and 15 great-grandkids.

Over his career he played and coached baseball, owned a tavern, opened and managed several cement pipe-manufacturing plants, including Valley Concrete pipe in Chico, invested in real estate, and went on to retire from the Nevada Cement Company. Erv had a talent for creating art from concrete, with wagon wheels, benches, and stepping-stones decorating homes of friends and family across the states.

Quick with Polack humor, Erv loved playing cribbage, scrabble, horseshoes, and keeping up on world and local news, never tiring of conversations on any topic. He was especially interested in the kids academics and sports, and supported their “big league” dreams in every way.

His intelligence, humor, honesty, courage, and great love will be sorely missed. Contributions in his honor may be made to the Dayton Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8660, in care of Autumn Funeral Home (1575 North Lompa Lane, Carson City, NV 89701). Services to be held at Silver Springs cemetery.