Obituary: Mary Verna Dietrich
Mary Verna Dietrich was born Dec. 12, 1914, in Salem, Ill., to Charles P. and Martha Young. She passed peacefully on June 21, 2011, at her home in Carson City with family at her side. Mary’s family moved to Eastern Colorado when she was an infant and Mary moved to Castle Rock, Colo., while still a teen. There she met and married William (Bill) Kunze. Bill was killed in a hunting accident leaving Mary with two small children. She then married Frank Dietrich and another daughter was born. The family moved to Carson City in 1957. Mary worked as a matron at the Carson City Sheriff’s Department in the 1960s and as the lunch chef at Enrico’s restaurant for many years. In her retirement, she did volunteer work for F.I.S.H. and her church and enjoyed reading until a stroke at age 87 took away her ability to enjoy reading. Knowing how important it was to keep her body moving, Mary exercised and walked every day even when she had to use a walker. She was able to travel in the U.S. with her sister Vivian, and to Russia and Canada with her good friend Peg. She enjoyed playing games and cards with her friends every Wednesday evening, watching televised professional baseball, and attending a resistance exercise course at her church.
Mary was preceded in death by her parents, three brothers and four sisters, husband Bill Kunze in 1947, and husband Frank Dietrich in 1988 and an infant son, Charles Kenneth. She is survived by son Jerry (Kathi) Kunze, daughters Bette Denning and Bonnie Dietrich; grandchildren Jeff Kunze, Loni Davis, Noelle (Brad) Williams, and Tanya Kunze; great-grandchildren Tanner Davis, Taylor Kunze, Billy Swope , Ethan Williams and Carter Williams and numerous nieces and nephews. Mother, Grandma, Great Grandma will be greatly missed by all her family.
The family would like to thank the staff of St. Mary’s Hospice. A celebration of life will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 23, 2011, at the First Presbyterian Church, 306 West Musser St., Carson City. In lieu of flowers or other gifts, memorial donations may be made to the Deacon’s Fund of the First Presbyterian Church or a charity of your choice. Walton’s Chapel of the Valley is in charge of arrangements.