Alleged burglar rips off store, leaves behind wallet
April 3, 2002
A burglar, apparently in need of money to pay bills after gambling the night away, dropped his wallet in the store where he made the heist, according to Carson City deputies.
Dale Brittingham, 48, a home improvement store worker, was arrested at 11:30 a.m. Monday at his home on Clearcreek Road for suspicion of felony burglary.
The manager of the OARC Thrift Store on Corbett Street gave a wallet to police Monday morning after she found it in the store.
Inside the wallet was identification belonging to Brittingham and three ATM receipts, with the last being at 3 a.m. from a cash machine in Cactus Jack’s casino.
When detectives spoke with Brittingham at his home Monday, he denied involvement and said his wallet was lost. But, according to police reports, he eventually admitted breaking into the isolated thrift store and taking a television, sleeping bag, cassette tapes and a camping stove.
“(Brittingham) said he was out of money and his bills were due on the first,” the police report states.
Recommended Stories For You
He is being held in the Carson City Jail on $25,000 bail.
Trending In: Opinion
- Suspect in Ranchos, Washoe homicides in custody
- Murder suspect in U.S. illegally, authorities say
- NDOT announces plans for traffic lights at dangerous intersection
- Washoe County spokesman: Woodside Drive arrest in Carson City related to murders in Washoe County
- Sex under scrutiny: Brothel owner seeks understanding with advocacy nonprofit